Description for Se
Winter hardy to USDA Zones 9-12. Intolerant of frost. In St. Louis, plants must be brought indoors prior to first fall frost date for overwintering. This plant is best grown in a dry, sandy, well-drained, cactus-type potting mix in part shade. Allow roots to dry out between waterings.
Common name: String of Beads, Gooseberry Plant, Melon Vine, Green marble
Bloom time: Seasonal bloomer
Height: 4 Inch
Pot SIze: 5 inch
Planting & Care
Plant bulbs in autumn. Plants do not thrive in Zones 9 to 10 without a period of refrigeration; they need a cold, dormant period. Select a site with soil that drains well. How can you tell? After a good rain, find a spot that is the first to dry out.
Sunlight: Full sun to part shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- The mulch should feel moist but not wet.
- Apply a high-potassium liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks from early spring until 6 weeks after flowering.
- Keep moist in winter.
- Apply a thin layer of compost each spring, followed by a 2-inch layer of mulch.
Excellent ornamental for hanging baskets.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
No serious insect or disease problems.
Senecio rowleyanus, commonly known as string-of-pearls or string-of-beads, is a creeping, perennial, succulent vine belonging to the family Asteraceae.
|Senecio Rowleyanus,string of pearls
Planting and care
Sprawling over the edges of containers or hanging baskets, the string of beads plant resembles a beaded necklace with its fleshy green, pea-like foliage. Learn more about growing string of beads houseplant so you can also enjoy its unique characteristics and ease of care.
|Full Sun to Partial Shade
||Apply any organic fertilizer
Caring for Senecio Rowleyanus
- Occasionally, you may find that pruning becomes necessary as part of your string of pearls care in order to maintain its size or appearance.
- This is simple to do. Trim off any dead stems and pearls, as well as any stems that have lost a lot of their beads. Pruning back will help promote fuller, more compact plants.
Typical uses of Senecio Rowleyanus
Special features: Excellent ornamental for hanging baskets.
Ornamental use: The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
Medicinal use:In medical uses, 72â€”73 medicinal, ... 345 toxicity, 245 Senecio rowleyanus, Asteraceae, string of pearls, toxicity.